Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] UX for ISO verification + Tails Instal…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [RFC] UX for ISO verification + Tails Installer + full upgrades [was: ISO verification automation proposals]
u:
> sajolida:
>>> In the process of reworking globally the bootstrapping workflow for
>>> Tails, we brainstormed, together with tchou, on the idea of further
>>> automating the ISO verification process.
>>
>> We followed up on this work, after some feedback from intrigeri, and I
>> pushed some new blueprints that I am submitted for your review.
>
>> I'm putting Giorgio and u in explicit copy and this has to do with work
>> they committed to.
>
> [snip ISO verification]
>
>> Tails Installer
>> ---------------
>>
>> https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/bootstrapping/installer
>>
>> We designed scenarios for Tails Installer outside of Tails, and are
>> proposing interface improvements for 2015, and later. This covers #7064:
>> Design scenario and features for a Tails Installer package in Debian.
>>
>> u, please have a look at the section called "2015" and tell us what you
>> think. Do that seem feasible to you.
>
> Overall, this seems feasible.
>
> Here are some thoughts on the blueprint:
>
> Autodetect if the destination key has Tails already.
> * Then display "Install" and "Upgrade" buttons accordingly.
>
> => Here, do we also want to have an option "Overwrite" or "Reinstall"?
> Or do people need to erase their USB sticks if they want this?

Sorry for not being clear enough.

* If the destination USB stick has no Tails installed, then only the
"Install" button is displayed.
* If the destination USB stick already has Tails installed, then two
buttons are displayed: "Install" and "Upgrade". We could rename the
"Install" button into "Reinstall" here I think to be more explicit.

Does that make more sense, now? The details of where the button are, and
their precise label can be figured out later I think.

> Add visual and textual context to main interface.
> => I'm not sure if i understand what you mean.

That's work we should do with tchou. The idea here is to reuse some of
the visuals that we will be using in the web assistant. People are going
to follow paths with a clear progression (step 1 download, step 2
verification, etc.) So it make sense to integrate this in Tails
Installer as well. But we still don't know how.

> Add a splash about creating persistence after rebooting.
> => Could you please explain in detail when this screen would show up
> exactly as I am not sure if I understand. Is this be part of the
> Installer itself?

That's still a rough idea but this would appear when the installation is
over and explain (reusing the language and visuals of the web assistant)
that people can (should) restart on that new USB stick and go on
creating a persistent volume if they want to use it (about half of them do).

For those two items that mix UX, documentation and code we'll try to
help out with the implementation with tchou as much as we can. Learning
a bit of GTK won't hurt us.