Re: [Tails-dev] Please review doc/7143-virtualization

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review doc/7143-virtualization
intrigeri:
> sajolida wrote (19 Jan 2015 23:10:07 GMT) :
> * "When running Tails in a virtual machine, you can use all the
> features of Tails" seems pretty bold, and is not always true.

What about saying "most", then? See cfcbd75+c35f34d.

> * config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-virt-notify-user
> still points to doc/advanced_topics/virtualization.en.html; should
> it point to the #security anchor on that page instead?

Done in 20c8b39. I also fixed the French translation but not the others
as it is the only one handled through Git (I think!).

> * "if the host operating system uses swap" --> not all OSes use the
> word "swap" (see the corresponding — "Paging" — page on Wikipedia);
> WP's page is highly technical, so I wouldn't recommend pointing to
> it, but it's probably worth mentioning other well-spread synonyms.

Nice, I didn't remember that from my CS classes :) So I did 8a1a0a8.
The terminology here might not be 100% exact as there seem to be
intricate subtleties around that issue, see
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Paging#Paging_vs._swapping. But I'm
not sure we want to get into that...

Ah, I also did a4ecd7c. Please make sure it's correct.

> * "The Tails virtual machine does not modify the behaviour of the host
> operating system and its network traffic is not anonymized" --> not
> clear what "its" refers to.

Fixed in a4ecd7c. I added it because I remember someone asking this!

> * I'm dubious about the use of "Virt-manager": on my sid system, it's
> called "Virtual Machine Manager". That's also the title of its web
> homepage. And in other places, its author call it "virt-manager".
> I've never seen it called "Virt-manager", so I propose to pick one
> of the two widespread wording instead.

We always call it "virt-manager", so I'd prefer that to "Virtual Machine
Manager". Regarding capitalization, you're right, they always spell it
in low caps, even at the beginning of a sentence like in their README:
https://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/virt-manager.git/tree/README.

> * "With the shared folders feature of VirtualBox you can access files
> of your host system from within the guest system." --> IMO that's
> blocked by, and should point to, the piece of doc about the risks of
> accessing the local hard disk from Tails, that (IIRC) BitingBird has
> been working on.

Marked as such on Redmine.

> * I suggest always using a non-breakable whitespace between "OS" and
> "X", in "OS X", to avoid slightly ugly and confusing rendering in
> the browser. Yay, nitpicking ;)

nbsp; for the win! → f999a8d

> * "For instructions on how to install VirtualBox on other operating
> systems, refer to their official documentation" --> "their" seems to
> refer to "other operating systems", which is obviously not what
> you mean.

Done in 39bef26.

> * "1. Start VirtualBox.
> To create a new virtual machine:
> 1. Choose Machine ▸ New...."
> -> the single "1." initial bullet feels strange.

Done in 170ca46.

> * "if the virtual machine is to have a 32-bit processor" -->
> missing word? either "configured to have" or "configured with".

Of course → 73cc357.

> * "choose Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file" feels strange.
> Maybe that's a case where we shouldn't follow the doc style
> guidelines too rigidly.
>
> I've not looked at the Boxes and virt-manager pages yet. I'll do that
> in a next iteration, once the above issues are fixed.

Done in 60689a9.

So now we're only blocked by #5636: "Document how to access internal
hard disks", right?

--
sajolida