Re: [Tails-dev] Please review doc/7143-virtualization

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review doc/7143-virtualization
Hi,

sajolida wrote (19 Jan 2015 23:10:07 GMT) :
> I've been silently working for a while on fixing our oldest hole in the
> roof: Adapt documentation from Incognito!

\o/

> So please review doc/7143-virtualization.

> Consider this as an initial version, and please comment on it. There are
> still probably quite a lot of things to adjust.

Merged master into it, added a few commits on top. Comments:

* "When running Tails in a virtual machine, you can use all the
features of Tails" seems pretty bold, and is not always true.

* config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-virt-notify-user
still points to doc/advanced_topics/virtualization.en.html; should
it point to the #security anchor on that page instead?

* "if the host operating system uses swap" --> not all OSes use the
word "swap" (see the corresponding — "Paging" — page on Wikipedia);
WP's page is highly technical, so I wouldn't recommend pointing to
it, but it's probably worth mentioning other well-spread synonyms.

* "The Tails virtual machine does not modify the behaviour of the host
operating system and its network traffic is not anonymized" --> not
clear what "its" refers to.

* I'm dubious about the use of "Virt-manager": on my sid system, it's
called "Virtual Machine Manager". That's also the title of its web
homepage. And in other places, its author call it "virt-manager".
I've never seen it called "Virt-manager", so I propose to pick one
of the two widespread wording instead.

* "With the shared folders feature of VirtualBox you can access files
of your host system from within the guest system." --> IMO that's
blocked by, and should point to, the piece of doc about the risks of
accessing the local hard disk from Tails, that (IIRC) BitingBird has
been working on.

* I suggest always using a non-breakable whitespace between "OS" and
"X", in "OS X", to avoid slightly ugly and confusing rendering in
the browser. Yay, nitpicking ;)

* "For instructions on how to install VirtualBox on other operating
systems, refer to their official documentation" --> "their" seems to
refer to "other operating systems", which is obviously not what
you mean.

* "1. Start VirtualBox.
To create a new virtual machine:
1. Choose Machine ▸ New...."
-> the single "1." initial bullet feels strange.

* "if the virtual machine is to have a 32-bit processor" -->
missing word? either "configured to have" or "configured with".

* "choose Choose a virtual CD/DVD disk file" feels strange.
Maybe that's a case where we shouldn't follow the doc style
guidelines too rigidly.

I've not looked at the Boxes and virt-manager pages yet. I'll do that
in a next iteration, once the above issues are fixed.

Impressive work!