Re: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install

Author: Peter N. Glaskowsky
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install
As I mentioned on https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6064 <https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6064> I was able to get my Toshiba Encore 2 (a fairly typical cheap Intel Bay Trail tablet) to boot 64-bit Ubuntu using 32-bit UEFI.

The tablet’s Windows and volume up/down buttons work as Enter and up/down arrows in GRUB, which makes it possible to get to the desktop without an attached keyboard. (It won’t do this reliably; only maybe one time out of five or so. When it doesn’t work, it seems to be a problem with the graphics; I’m sure the OS is running underneath.) Once there, I found the touchscreen works as a pointing device, and with some experimentation I was able to assign the volume-up button to the shortcut for activating the on-screen keyboard, which makes the machine pretty much completely functional.

As intrigeri observed there, this discovery creates a connection between issue 6064 and https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8471 <https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8471> which covers 32-bit UEFI.

So, the next thing I tried was copying https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t100ta/raw/master/boot/bootia32.efi <https://github.com/jfwells/linux-asus-t100ta/raw/master/boot/bootia32.efi> into EFI/boot on an OTG flash drive ( http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-32GB-Traveler-DTDUO3/dp/B00LIXJ0OU <http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-32GB-Traveler-DTDUO3/dp/B00LIXJ0OU> ) with Tails 1.2.2 installed.

That does something, but not much— it gets me to a GRUB command line, but I have no idea what to do from there.

Any further suggestions would be welcome.

Best,

.               png