[Tails-ux] Greeter: wording

Author: spencerone
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Greeter: wording
Although I can't install TAILS due to technical limitations on my end, I
have followed the greeter development for the past few months and think
that 'Start' isn't as clear of a label as we might need. Start what?
"the user session" though that isn't clearly communicated with a single
word. Also, 'Play', in regard to the icon, isn't the same as 'Start' or
'Begin', though I am not sure that the computer icon is any more
successful at communicating that we are entering the session. It also
doesn't clearly communicate that we are "leaving the greeter". Maybe a
verbose "Begin Session", or something more accurate, just not too
esoteric, is appropriate. But that doesn't assure us that our
preferences/settings have been saved. Maybe we can add this assurance
somehow?

It appears there are three steps here. 1.Save 2.Close 3.Start Session -
Can all of this be successfully communicated in a single action? Maybe,
though it seems to be quite tricky. We might want a separation, and
combination, of the actions. We could have 'Settings' and 'Start
Session' as the only two options on a particular screen, allowing clear
directional distinction between the two [see attachment]. Forgive the
misalignment with the rest of the greeter development in regard to
typeface, spacing, sizing, context, and the like.

I would jump in on the "Persistence" issue, but I have yet to get that
far.

Awesome,
SpencerOne