Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: wording

Supprimer ce message

Répondre à ce message
Auteur: Alan
À: tails-ux
Anciens-sujets: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: let's move on!
Sujet: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: wording
Hi!

On Wed, 21 Jan 2015 16:39:19 +0000 (GMT)
KEN MCCALL <kemccall@???> wrote:
> Who is the target audience (persona)? An non-technical email user? A
> journalist with motivation? (Maybe this has been defined already, but
> I'm highly motivated and don't understand some things here).

This is roughtly defined in our design document
(https://tails.boum.org/contribute/design/#index5h3):

"The PELD's target user is the average user in terms of computer
literacy; he or she does not necessarily control fully the computer
being used. Examples would be a public computer in a library, coffee
shop, university or a residence. We assume that the target user does
not want to do any of the configurations (at least with respect to
security and anonymity) of the various applications and tools used
themselves, either because of insufficient knowledge, lack of interest
or other reasons. The PELD MUST provide strong anonymity with no need
of advanced configuration whatsoever. It MUST be made as difficult as
possible for the user to unknowingly compromise anonymity."

> "Persistence" is a term that seems to be jargon (or perhaps specific
> to the Unix/Linux world?). It threw me for a loop and I'm a technical
> person. "Persistence" being an act versus describing an object (it is
> persistent). It's an encrypted area, or encrypted volume, secure area
> (or something more common), I'm uncertain thinking about it at this
> late hour, but another term is in need IMHO. Also, it's something
> that only exists on a thumb drive or some sort of USB storage,
> correct? This may affect the name or necessitate additional
> descriptions of some sort. Perhaps some mouse-over help may be in
> order? Just a thought.

You're suggesting "Encrypted storage area"?

> The phrase "You don't have encrypted persistence, want to configure
> one?" This would change based upon the above. Perhaps, "Currently,
> there is no encrypted storage area. Do you want to make one? There
> are pros and cons." (Pros and cons hyperlinked to info.?)
>
> The icon titled "unlock" should be titled "Unlock". A small UI
> consistency issue.
>
> "Start" is starting what? Are we really starting something or
> accepting inputs? (Again, I may be way off base here).

It is starting the user session (and leaving the greeter). Do you have
a wording suggestion?

> Anyway, please take these for what you deem they're worth. I hope I
> can be more beneficial as I become more knowledgeable.

Thanks for your input.