Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: let's move on!

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Greeter: let's move on!
Alan:
> sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
>> Alan:
>> That makes sense. How does this relates to the proposed implementation
>> in three phases as split in #5464? Phase 1 would replace the current
>> Greeter and phase 2 would introduce the configuration assistant. Would
>> you release phase 1 only with Tails Jessie, or both?
>>
> Not sure it makes a lot of sense to release half of the new greeter, get
> people used to it and add another half. I'd prefer to introduce both
> in the same time in released Tails, but I'm open to read other points
> of view.

The idea here was to be able to release useful stuff early, instead of
waiting longer and release everything at once.

But if you want to wait to have GTK 3.14, then this doesn't make much
sense anymore. Let's just see how far we can get in time for Tails
Jessie and release that.

>From a user point of view, I think that it is ok to release phase 1

(Welcome and Advanced screens) without phase 2 (Guided configuration) as
we already have those screens and we are "only" proposing a UI revamp
with no new features or big conceptual change. The Guided configuration
on the other hand is a very different and new tool. But if we have both
ready for Tails Jessie, then that's super cool I agree.

Still, regarding the design process, the parts that have been heavily
reviewed are only the Welcome and Advanced screens. The Guided
configuration still needs quite a lot of work. Do you think that it
still makes sense for you to start coding phase 1, before we finish
designing phase 2?

>> I also realized that in our last grant application we said that we
>> would aim at "releasing Tails Jessie at most 9 months after Debian
>> Jessie is officially released". So this probably won't happen before
>> fall 2015 or winter 2016. I'm fine with releasing the new Greeter by
>> then only but if you want to go much faster than that, then Tails
>> Jessie might not be ready...
>>
> We'll see. Unless there are good reasons to go faster having GTK 3.14
> looks worth waiting a few months for me.

Ok, so I set #8230 and #8231 as for version 4.0 (Tails Jessie).

--
sajolida