Re: [Tails-dev] Windows camouflage for Jessie/GNOME shell

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Windows camouflage for Jessie/GNOME shell
Hi,

On Thu, 01 Jan 2015 13:06:04 +0000
sajolida <sajolida@???> wrote:
> Alan:
> > % Call for participation : port windows camouflage to GNOME 3.14
>
> I added this to a branch. See the current version of the call here:
>
> http://git.tails.boum.org/tails/tree/wiki/src/news/windows_camouflage_jessie.mdwn?h=news/windows_camouflage_jessie

Thanks!

> I was wondering whether we should use a shorter title. We use a big
> font for titles (that could be fixed) but I'd like to see if we can
> avoid wrapping titles. That's why I did a731b9f. Feel free to revert
> it if you don't like it as I'm not 100% convinced either.

A shorter title looks fine indeed, but I'm a bit concerned about
loosing the "call" or "help" idea. What about "Help porting Windows
camouflage to GNOME 3.14"?

> > # Where should you start?
> >
> > Please read
> > https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/update_camouflage_for_jessie/, then
>
> I'm a bit concerned about what will happen once we sent out the call.
> Hopefully we will have between 5 and 10 answers from random people who
> will write to the list saying "hello, I'm interested in this". What
> are you going to answer them?

Thanks for pointing this out. My rought idea: if they have questions,
answer them, else, tell them to DL and start tails/jessie and hack, and
see what they produce. If there are several motivated answers then I
think it's possible to split the work (e.g. icons/gtk/shell). I guess
more than half of the people won't produce anything, but if someone has
a convincing theme that would be a good start. I hope we would then
do the integration and polishing together but I'm not that confident on
that part.

> Because if we're interested in their past experience on GNOME before
> we spend time mentoring them, then we might as well ask this upfront.

I thought that the first sentences made quite clear that we'd like some
experience in theming of GTK/GNOME. But I'd rather not set some strict
requirement as somebody motivated enough can do a good job even if they
have no passed GNOME experience I think. e.g. perhaps experience in web
development with JS and CSS forks perfectly.

> You also silently ignored my concern about money. If giving out money
> can help us recruiting more qualified people and do less filtering and
> mentoring, them I'm all for it. But then I'm not sure whether you like
> the idea of being mentoring someone else who is being paid and I'm not
> sure how to put it in the announcement in the first place so I'm ok to
> try without mentioning money at all first.

I'm not interested in dealing with this money issue, but I'm not
against it if you or someone else wants to take care of it. However, I
think that we should not promise anything before being sure there is
real good work behind. So if you think we could have money for this and
want to take care of it, I'd propose not to mention it on the 1st
place, but:

- if someone asks, answer than that we can give them money;
- additionally, if someone comes up with a convincing POC, propose them
money to work on the shitty details fixing;
- make very clear the requirements before money arrives: if we pay
somebody who only does the funny parts and then let me do the shitty
fixing, I'd feel tricked.

What do you think?

> We might as well delay those questions for once the call is passed,
> but our past experience with the bounty program proved that getting
> external people to do work for us definitely doesn't come for free
> (as in "free time")!

Indeed thanks for sharing your experience. I'm a bit afraid of that
too, but let's see what happens...

Cheers