Re: [Tails-dev] Building with Vagrant (doc update)

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Building with Vagrant (doc update)
On 01/12/14 12:24, anonym wrote:

>>> Thanks! I applied it, [...]
>>
>> I'm concerned that we're suggesting people to install .deb's
>> downloaded over plain HTTP, on the system they're using to develop
>> Tails, without even a warning that it might be dangerous.
>
> What about:
>
> * pin the specific versions of vagrant and ruby-net-ssh
> * add http://snapshot.debian.org/archive/debian/20141010T042049Z as a
> Debian source
> * apt-get -o Acquire::Check-Valid-Until=false update
> * apt-get install vagrant ruby-net-ssh
> * remove http://snapshot.debian.org/... source
> * apt-get update

I think this is better than the current unauthenticated workaround, so I
pushed new instructions live. I also pushed some other improvements:

8fa1910 Suggest a safe workaround for installing Vagrant.
57a948c Quote code more consistently.
bf53809 Remove workaround instructions for #6514.
8378e4b Update Vagrant memory usage figures.

I dared doing this because I think the old instructions were downright
confusing in some cases (e.g. the left-over workaround for #6514), and
hard to follow (no code to copy-paste). My changes may still need
improvements, though, so please have a look!

Cheers!