[Tails-ux] Internal HD install, password reduction - was: Re…

Author: Peter N. Glaskowsky
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install, password reduction - was: Re: Anyone here?
Yes, it’s fine now. Also the -dev list archives are back.

I read through the archives to date, and it looks the topics so far have been primarily about user interface isses as opposed to the whole user experience— is that intentional, or just how things have gone so far?

I wanted to bring up a high-level user experience issue driven by the widespread availability of low-cost x86 tablets running Windows and Android. It seems to me that a $100 tablet is cheap enough to dedicate to Tails— so wouldn’t it be useful to allow users to install to an internal drive?

And of course there should be UI features as needed, such as the default activation of an on-screen keyboard and persisting more user preferences on the assumption that a device with Tails permanently installed is more likely to belong to a specific user.

On another matter, I am curious as to the reasoning for requiring two different passwords for a session in which persistence and an administrator password is desired. Wouldn’t it be easier to use the persistence key as the admin password? Or is there a security problem there?

Best regards,

.           png