Re: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install, password reduction - wa…

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] Internal HD install, password reduction - was: Re: Anyone here?
>> I wanted to bring up a high-level user experience issue driven by
>> the widespread availability of low-cost x86 tablets running Windows
>> and Android. It seems to me that a $100 tablet is cheap enough to
>> dedicate to Tails— so wouldn’t it be useful to allow users to
>> install to an internal drive?
>
> I don't think that Tails should be installed. It is simply not
> possible, by design, to ensure that a magnetic drive medium forgets
> [0] and thus installing seems out of the question.

But then by "installing on the table" you could mean "have Tails
installed on a SD card which is always plugged in the tablet". And that
would work. I know people who only use Tails on a dedicated laptop like
this.

But yes, currently it is not possible to install Tails on an internal
hard disk because of software protections that we put in place.

> However, there is a ticket which aims at investigating how to get
> Tails to work on handheld devices [1][2] But the problem here is a
> technical one: for now, Tails supports only x86 processors, and most
> of these devices use ARM processors instead.

Peter was mentioning x86 tablets. So Peter, if you want to investigate
cheap x86 tablets and report which ones are able to run Tails or what is
missing for that to work it would be great! As a first step towards
having Tails on handheld devices.

--
sajolida