[Tails-dev] keeping up with pluggable transports by using TB…

Author: Patrick Schleizer
To: tails-dev, mcs@pearlcrescent.com >> Mark Smith, brade@pearlcrescent.com >> Kathleen Brade, mikeperry@torproject.org >> Mike Perry
Subject: [Tails-dev] keeping up with pluggable transports by using TBB's Tor and tor-launcher
Hi!

intrigeri wrote:
> [...]
> Still, the landscape of pluggable transports is quickly evolving, and
> indeed we have a hard time staying on top of things in this area.
> [...]

I think it will be simply impossible to keep up with pluggable
transports. We at Whonix are facing the same issue.

Idea:

- Come with a recent release of original TBB from TPO installed by
default with every new release of Tails/Whonix.

- Use the TBB, tor-launcher add-on and pluggable transports from TBB as
the new "system Tor".

Seems like an approach that needs low maintenance from distribution
developers (Debian/Tails/Whonix) as well as from tor-launcher/TBB
developers? Needs no extraction of stuff like meek, flashproxy,
scramblesuit for packaging (policy conform) for Debian.

This requires tor-launcher having a features such as:

- just start Tor Browser without configuring Tor (we already got that
TOR_SKIP_LAUNCH)

- just start Tor with current configuration (missing feature?)

- configure Tor (using tor-launcher), then just start Tor, but don't
start Tor Browser (missing feature?)

- anything else?

What do you think?

Cheers,