[Tails-ux] Fw: [Tails-support] "Welcome to Tails" small issu…

Author: mercedes508
To: tails-ux
Subject: [Tails-ux] Fw: [Tails-support] "Welcome to Tails" small issues
Hi,

I'm forwading that email that is more related to UX than support.

From: Doug <doug@???>
To: tails-support@???
Subject: [Tails-support] "Welcome to Tails" small issues

Thank you for Tails. It's a wonderful project. I've used it for years.
Much more importantly, it helped Snowden.

I couldn't make it to the Paris user testing, so here's some feedback.
It's for Tails 1.0 since later versions need a later virtualbox with
non-free software.

It took me a long time to learn how to properly use the "Welcome to
Tails" page. Many users won't be patient.

The keyboard layout control is right there, but I didn't realize what
it was for a very long time. That meant that I had to remember where
the U.S. keys were almost every time. This seems easy to fix with
tooltips for the actual tools, not just for small icons. Maybe a text
label next to each icon on the toolbar would also help people who don't
mouse over controls looking for help.

The "More options" dialog seems to change the whole dialog with each
click. The button I clicked turns gray, and the bright button is the
one I didn't click. The action button changes from Forward to Login.
The green checkmark is our only real clue what is going on, and its
movement gets lost in all this. The "Yes" and "No" buttons are toggles,
so simply clicking "Yes" multiple times makes all these changes. Login
doesn't prompt for a login, it starts Tails.

We can simplify this. Maybe just two elements, a standard radio button
that selects either "Start" or "More options...", and a familiar "Ok"
button. Or just two action buttons, "Start" and "More options...".

Again, thank you for Tails. We like it so much that we spent months
trying to make it the base for our GoodCrypto Server. We use it almost
daily.

Doug

GoodCrypto warning: Anyone could have read this message. Use
tails-support mailing list
tails-support@???