Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] Greeter mockups

Author: sajolida
To: Tails user experience & user interface design
Subject: Re: [Tails-ux] [Tails-dev] Greeter mockups
BitingBird wrote:
>> Tchou proposed a computer logo for Start. Then Alan and I preferred the
>> play logo. I might have left a version of each to leave this open to
>> discussion.
>>
>> Which one do you think is better and why?
>
> I prefer the play icon, it's quite known and easy to understand.

Me too :)

I created a ticket for this one: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/8236.

> So after some wikipedia research, it seems to be
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Su_(kana) and
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nu_%28kana%29 so... real characters,
> except I didn't find versions with the things on top of the ideograms.
> Let's say it's good enough, except if somebody tells us they're wrong :)

Cool.

> I prefer the second one, because it presents 2 types of writing, like a
> choice, but I see that the format of the first one is better. So, no
> strong opinion in either direction.

So I tried something different, see the ticket:
https://labs.riseup.net/code/attachments/download/573/language_icon_in_the_corner.png

>>> Why did you keep weird sliders, while it's the thing that everybody
>>> finds confusing, and we checked that Gnome says checkboxes are OK ?
>>
>> Those switches are described in the GNOME Human Interface Guideles [4]
>> list this:
>>
>> « Switches should be used for controlling services or hardware that have
>> a clear on/off logic. They are particularly appropriate when those
>> services or hardware do not activate immediately (ie. there is a delay
>> between the switch being operated and it having an effect), or when they
>> affect the operation of the application in a significant way. »
>>
>> I think that this applies quite well to "Windows camouflage" and "Mac
>> address spoofing". And I trust GNOME for them to be fine.
>>
>> [4]: https://developer.gnome.org/hig/stable/switches.html.en
>
> Well, checkboxes seem to work also[1], for on/off questions, which are
> our concern.

Ok.

> And plenty of users reported problems with the switches
> (*I* never get what they're on, that's for sure)[2]. Seriously, if you
> see "on", does it mean it is "on", or you have to click to make it "on"?
>
> [1]
> https://developer.gnome.org/hig-book/unstable/menus-design.html.en#menu-item-type-check
> : "Use a check box menu item only when it is obvious from the label what
> the set and unset states mean. This usually means that the two states
> are logical or natural opposites, such as "on" and "off"."
>
> [2] https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/feedback_on_0.X/
>
> The only place that is concerned is the advanced options page
> (https://tails.boum.org/blueprint/greeter_revamp_UI/greeter-advanced-screen.png),
> for those who want to give input :)

Yeah. I really don't know what's going on with those switches because I
don't think that people would have problems interacting with such
switches if they were objects like these ones:

https://d194m38p9c1s7c.cloudfront.net/files/13691/5223/on-off-button-screenshots-1.jpg

http://www.egyptuino.com/store/images/detailed/1/sw2.black.2pin.jpg

Don't you think?

--