Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/7732-i2p-netwo…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/7732-i2p-network-manager-hook [was: I2P & Tails 1.2 (0.9.15, browser, network-manager))
26/09/14 14:31, Kill Your TV wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Sep 2014 02:46:42 +0000 (UTC)
> anonym <anonym@???> wrote:
>
>> First, you haven't removed the
>> `config/chroot_local-includes/usr/local/bin/tails-start-i2p` script,
>> which imho now is obsolete.
>
> Correct. I didn't remove it in case others thought that what I came up
> with was "subpar".

If we're merging your branch (which seems likely after the things I
mentioned get fixed) it's going to be the replacement of the old way, so
please go ahead and remove those things.

>> Similarly we can remove
>> `config/chroot_local-includes/usr/share/applications/i2p.desktop*` to
>> drop the also obsolete Applications -> Internet -> i2p .desktop entry.
>
> In the I2P browser branch I changewd that desktop entry to point to the
> browser. I wasn't sure that I could delete it here without causing a
> problem when/if the other branch (the I2P browser one) is merged in.

I see. In general, when working on multiple related branches, it's
better if you try to keep the inter-dependencies to a minimum, since
it's not necessary that all of them get merged at the same time.

As for this specific issue, I suggest you re-write the history a bit in
feature/7725-i2p-browser and create a new i2p-browser.desktop which
names it "I2P-enabled Browser" (or "I2P Browser" for consistency with
"Tor Browser"?), and then remove i2p.desktop in
feature/7732-i2p-network-manager-hook.

One last thing, a nice bonus would be upgraded manual test steps in the
"I2P" section of `wiki/src/contribute/release_process/test.mdwn`.

Cheers!