Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/7732-i2p-networ…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.2] feature/7732-i2p-network-manager-hook [
hi,

anonym wrote (26 Sep 2014 02:46:31 GMT) :
> A difference compared to the old `tails-start-i2p` is that it opens the
> router console in the web browser (starting it if necessary) once it's
> ready (simply by waiting for port 7657 to start listening) but your
> script doesn't. IMHO it's a pretty good portal to various I2P services
> and web pages, so that's a bit of a loss. What do you think?

IMO, opening the console automatically made much sense when one had to
start I2P manually, but once it's started automatically I'm less sure.
Perhaps adding a bookmark would be enough to make this portal (and
status console) easily available? But then, a problem with this idea
is that the bookmark can be confusing when I2P isn't enabled, and
I doubt we want to start adding bookmarks dynamically depending on
whether I2P is enabled, so I'm afraid I've got no good solution to
this problem.

OTOH, once we have the dedicated I2P browser, then we can
unconditionally add this bookmark (and other I2P-related ones, maybe)
to its dedicated profile, and boom, problem solved.

So, my current preferred solution is:

1. ignore this problem as far as #7732 is concerned
2. open a subtask of the ticket that tracks the dedicated I2P browser,
titled "Add a bookmark for the I2P router console in the I2P
browser", which ensures we don't close that ticket without
resolving the problem.

Thoughts?