Re: [Tails-l10n] [review] spanish translation - about

Author: sajolida
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] [review] spanish translation - about
Cristian Salamea wrote:
> On 13/08/14 05:44, Emma Peel wrote:
>> i made two commits on my branch po/es:
>>
>> https://git-tails.immerda.ch/emmapeel/tails/log/?h=po/es
>>
>> first commit is a snapshot of the .es.po files, without any changes.
>> second commit is the About page.
>
> Hi ! i did my first translation here[1], please review and merge :-)
>
> Regards,
>
> [1] https://github.com/ovnicraft/tails/commits/spanish-translation

It's very cool to see people working on the Spanish translation again!

I have a few comments on tools and methodology:

1. We had Spanish translations in the past already. They were removed at
some point because they were too outdated. But I'm pretty sure that
there are things that are worth rescuing from those old translations.

They were disabled with commit 2b14454.

If you want to start your work based on that, you can try to revert that
commit `git revert 2b14454`. And base your future branches on that.

2. Split "review" and "merge"

- The "review" process has to be made amongst the people from the
Spanish team.
- The "merge" process has to be made by people from the core team
having commit rights on the main repo.

So, in your case, since nobody from the core team is doing Spanish
reviews, this has to be done in two different steps. First, you must ask
for review from your fellow Spanish translators. And then, once it's
been review by the team, ask for a merge by us.

Also note that we won't activate Spanish on the website, until most of
the core pages are translated. See
https://tails.boum.org/contribute/l10n_tricks/core_po_files.txt.

So maybe until then we should do it a bit differently. You could work on
separate pages (eg. Emma on About, you on Index), and do the review
process amongst yourselves. Then the core team could merge each new
translation into a branch of the main repo, say po/es. So your work gets
approved and integrated in the main repo little by little even if it is
not available on the website yet.

3. Please create a new thread for each batch of translation. Start a new
thread when asking for the review of new translations. Then stick to it
while doing your review process. Then make it clear to the core team
when this has to be merged, ideally creating a new thread for the merge
only once it has been reviewed.

For example, this time you should have created a new thread making it
clear which pages you were translating and asking for review.

4. It would probably bit marginally helpful if you shared the same
branch name to work on your translations. But that's not a strong
requirement. I suggest po/es, but feel free to propose something
different. We'll use the same name on the main repo to integrate your
translations little by little before activate Spanish on the website.

5. Quite a bit of markdown syntax is broken in your translation on
index.es.po. For example:

msgid ""
"all connections to the Internet are forced to go through [[the Tor
network|"
"https://www.torproject.org/]];"
msgstr ""
"todas las conexiones a internet son forzadas a traves de [[la red Tor|\n"
"https://www.torproject.org]]"

The extra \n in your version breaks the link.

msgid "Tails is [[Free Software|doc/about/license]]."
msgstr "Tails es [[Software Libre|doc|about|license]]."

You mistook '|' for '/'.

#. type: Content of: <div><div>
msgid ""
"[[!inline pages=\"news/* and !news/*/* and !news/discussion and
currentlang"
"()\" show=\"2\" feeds=\"no\" archive=\"yes\"]]"
msgstr ""
"[[!inline pages=\"news/* and !news/*/* and !news/discussion and
currentlang\"\n"
"() show=\"2\" feeds=\"no\" archive=\"yes\"]]"

Your extra newline breaks the [[!inline]] directive.

Of course, such mistakes can happen to everybody but I personally find
it very useful to build a local version of the wiki before submitting my
branches to check for formatting mistakes.

See those instructions: https://tails.boum.org/contribute/build/website/

--
sajolida