[RSF] FW: Only 900 Signatures Needed: Bring Our Troops Home …

Author: pilar castel
To: forumroma@inventati.org, pace@peacelink.it, pace, de def, donneinnero@listas.nodo50.org, juliavshawlawrence@gmail.com
Subject: [RSF] FW: Only 900 Signatures Needed: Bring Our Troops Home from Afghanistan!

Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2014 18:59:54 +0000
From: organize@???
To: pilarcastel@???

Dear Friend,

Thank you for taking a moment to sign my petition (see below) and make your voice heard. With your help, we’ve generated over 49,100 signatures! Our goal is 50,000 signatures, which means we only need 900 more!

Please help spread our message. Ask your friends and family on Facebook and Twitter to sign our petition to President Obama!

Now more than ever, it’s critical that President Obama hear from Americans who want to bring all of our troops home from Afghanistan! Amid the current crisis in Iraq, notorious hawk Senator John McCain (R-AZ) and others are using the situation as an excuse to keep our troops trapped in Afghanistan. McCain decried, “I predicted what was going to happen in Iraq. I’m predicting to you now that if we pull everybody out of Afghanistan, not based on conditions, you’ll see that same movie again in Afghanistan.” In reality, Iraq’s civil war has its origins in the disastrous decision of the Bush Administration to launch of an illegal war in 2003. We must recognize that a lasting peace in both Iraq and Afghanistan can only be achieved with political, not military, solutions.

To help us reach our goal, you can also forward the email below or the direct link to anyone you'd like to sign the petition: https://www.credomobilize.com/petitions/tell-president-obama-we-deserve-a-say-in-the-future-of-america-s-longest-war-3.

Thank you for working for peace,

Matthew Hoh, Win Without War

---
The email below is from Matthew Hoh, a CREDO activist in Washington, D.C. Matthew started a petition on CREDO Mobilize, where activists can launch their own campaigns for progressive change. Will you help Matthew pressure President Obama to end America's longest war and bring all our troops home from Afghanistan now by sharing his petition with your friends and family?

Dear Friend,

Almost 5 years ago, I resigned from the State Department over America's failing war in Afghanistan. As a veteran of the Iraq War, I failed to see either the value or the worth in continuing to risk America’s blood and treasure on America’s longest war.

After President Obama announced that nearly 10,000 troops will remain in Afghanistan next year and many won’t be home until 2017, I was left with the exact same feeling.

It's long past time to say enough is enough. It's time to bring all our troops home, now. That's why I started my own campaign on CREDOMobilize.com, which allows activists to start their own petitions. My petition, which is to President Obama, says the following:

It's long past time to end America's longest war and bring all our troops home now from Afghanistan.

Tell President Obama: End America's longest war and bring the troops home now.

By continuing the war in Afghanistan for more than two more years, President Obama's plans ignore the simple truth that there is no military solution to the challenges that remain in Afghanistan. There is nothing that 10,000 troops will do in two years that 100,000 could not do in the past 13.

The U.S. war in Afghanistan, now in its 13th year, has cost our nation dearly. More than 2,300 Americans – over 1,600 alone since I resigned in 2009 – and tens of thousands of Afghans have lost their lives. Many, many more have been wounded and will bear the scars of battle for decades to come. Like the Iraq War, Afghanistan has been financed on our nation’s credit card, adding nearly $800 billion to our debt, with billions more to come. And yet the war is not yet over.

The U.S. intervened in Afghanistan after the attacks on September 11th to bring the perpetrators to justice. Al Qaeda was driven from Afghanistan more than a decade ago, and Osama bin Laden has been dead for more than three years. Yet the war drags on. Our men and women in uniform have done everything asked of them, and now they deserve to come home. As President Obama has said himself, a lasting solution to nearly four decades of conflict in Afghanistan will depend on Afghans and their neighbors reaching political settlement, not U.S. military personnel.

If progressives don’t stand up and demand we bring our troops home now, no one will. Together, we can stand up and say that two more years of war is two years too many.

Will you join me and add your name to my petition urging President Obama to bring all American troops home from Afghanistan now?

Thank you for your support,

Matthew Hoh

You received this email because you signed the petition 'Bring Them Home, Now!'.  If you don't want to receive emails from the 'Bring Them Home, Now!' campaign in the future, please unsubscribe.