Re: [Tails-dev] Please test Tails ISO with updated syslinux

Author: Alan
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please test Tails ISO with updated syslinux
Hi,

Please find below test results on the following system:

Handle 0x001B, DMI type 1, 27 bytes
System Information
    Manufacturer: Apple Inc.
    Product Name: MacBookPro9,2
    Version: 1.0
    Family: MacBook Pro

My apologies for the delay.

On Mon, 28 Jul 2014 22:31:59 +0200
intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
> So, here's what I need you to do:
>
>   1. Take notes about how the hardware you have supports Tails 1.1, in
>      terms of "does it boot at all":
>      - using a DVD

Boots fine. The DVD is labeled "Windows". Compatibility mode is used
(the kernel use BIOS boot). Shutdown works.

>      - using a USB device installed the good old "manual" (isohybrid +
>        cat) way

Boots fine. The USB is labeled "Windows". Compatibility mode is used
(the kernel use BIOS boot). Shutdown works.

>      - using a USB device installed with Tails Installer

Boots fine. The USB is labeled "EFI Boot". Actual EFI is used. Shutdown
fails.

>      - using a USB device installed with the Universal USB Installer

There are two entries in the apple boot menu:

- one labeled "Windows" that boots fine. Compatibility mode is used
(the kernel use BIOS boot). Shutdown works.
- one labeled "EFI Boot" that does NOT boot. The display freezes on
the apple boot menu as soon as the entry is selected. There is no
syslinux menu displayed and kernel never starts.

>      - all of the above, but switching from Legacy mode (MBR) to UEFI,
>        or vice-versa

This system cannot be configured to use MBR instead of UEFI as far as
I know.

>   2. Download the latest ISO built from the experimental branch:
>      http://nightly.tails.boum.org/build_Tails_ISO_experimental/

I used the following tails experimental ISO:

    1.2 - 20140814
    c183ad91bce6c0fa4a95c387c8f5c8387acf9a0c

>   3. Try starting Tails with a device created using this ISO, and take
>      detailed notes of any regression or improvement compared to
>      Tails 1.1:
>      - using a DVD

Same as with Tails 1.1.

>      - using a USB device installed the good old "manual" (isohybrid +
>        cat) way

Same as with Tails 1.1.

>      - using a USB device installed with Tails Installer

Same as with Tails 1.1.

>      - using a USB device installed with the Universal USB Installer

Same as with Tails 1.1.

>      - all of the above, but switching from Legacy mode (MBR) to UEFI,
>        or vice-versa

This system cannot be configured to use MBR instead of UEFI as far as
I know.

> What I am *particularly* interested about is:
>
> * Regressions.

None on this hardware.

> * Improvements.

None on this hardware.

>   * Tests with our boot menu background image re-enabled, especially
>     on Mac. Uncomment this line in EFI/BOOT/stdmenu.cfg on the Tails
>     USB stick:

>       menu background splash.png

Fails to boot. The display freezes on
the apple boot menu as soon as the entry is selected. There is no
syslinux menu displayed and kernel never starts.

>   * Especially on Mac, same as above, but also add this line to
>     EFI/BOOT/tails.cfg on the Tails USB stick:

>       MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768

Boots fine. The USB is labeled "EFI Boot". Actual EFI is used. Shutdown
fails. Theres is however no change on the syslinux menu resolution.

I also tried adding both "menu background splash.png" and "MENU
RESOLUTION 1024 768". It fails to boot. The display
freezes on the apple boot menu as soon as the entry is selected. There
is no syslinux menu displayed and kernel never starts.

>   * Tests in QEMU with OVMF (if you don't know what I'm talking
>     about, don't bother).

- Boots fine. Fails to shutdown (hangs at "Starting new kernel").
- with "menu background splash.png": boots fine. The syslinux menu is
as beautiful as when booting in MBR mode.
- with "MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768": boots fine. The menu is smaller.
- with "menu background splash.png" and "MENU RESOLUTION 1024 768":
boots fine. The menu is smaller and the background gets tiled
(repeated as 2x2 tiles) which is ugly.