Re: [Tails-dev] Why OnionCat + Mumble - why not just Mumble?

Author: Patrick Schleizer
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Why OnionCat + Mumble - why not just Mumble?
Hi,

thank you for your interest!

By the way this has now been documented in Whonix's wiki as user
friendly as I could make it for now:
https://www.whonix.org/wiki/Voip#linphone

Just now tested by me. One machine had speaker off and microphone on,
the other one vice versa. Could hear myself. There was a 1 or 2 s delay,
but that shouldn't annoy one much. I yet have to test this setup with an
actual calling partner. Maybe Jason will test it with me, but we yet
have to find a time when we're both online due to different time zones.
So if anyone does not mind revealing its voice to me and interested in
testing, please get in contact.

This linphone setup currently talks Tor hidden service to Tor hidden
service. I am wondering how much delay and perhaps quality loss this
will produce compared to alternative setups.

I am still curious to see setups with just one hidden service as server
and a client as well as setups using third party clearnet servers. The
latter would have to include, that the server can long nothing useful,
just notice, that two random pseudonyms have an encrypted voice chat.

bancfc@???:
> On 2014-08-14 23:26, bancfc@??? wrote:
>> Hi. I found out why onioncat wasn't working and configured it
>> accordingly with help from Bernhard. It was a peculiarity that had to
>> do with our specific two machine design.
>>
>> Now VOIP works. Linphone is what we'll be using. Thought I'd tell you
>> so you guys can add that too.
>>
>> Details:
>> https://www.whonix.org/forum/index.php/topic,407.msg3360.html#msg3360
>
> Unfortunately the Linphone version in Debian stable does not have zrtp
> support. But wouldn't Hidden Services and onioncat be providing the
> authentication layer?
>
> Note that Linphone does have a text messaging mode but its completely
> plaintext. Again it shouldn't matter if what I'm saying about Hidden
> Services is correct.

Since we're using Voip over onioncat over Tor hidden services, all that
ZRTP would give us would be a second layer of encryption and
authentication, so I think this assertion is correct. But, if it comes
available, why not use it.

Cheers,
Patrick