Re: [Tails-l10n] transifex policy

Author: u
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] transifex policy
Hi,

drebs:
> Hello, we are writing some doc for new pt-br translation contributors and we

Please send us the doc too, so we can put it on the future page [0] for
the portuguese team.

> have doubts about transifex translation.
>
> 1. Is there a clear policy on how to become a translator using transifex? The
>    tails website points to the transifex website but does not say how one
>    becomes a translator/reviewer.

No. There is no policy and no documentation because all this is handled
by Transifex.

You just subscribe to Transifex and request to become a translator for
the Torproject [1].

In order to become a reviewer, you'd make a request to the admins of
that project on Transifex. (One of them, Colin, also reads this mailing
list and can respond to requests from our side. Thanks btw!)

> 2. Is there a preference between transifex versus git pull requests
>    translation?

As for now, each team decides how it wants to handle translations.

The basic setup is to handle the website translation via Git and the
custom programs via Transifex. This is not very clear in the
documentation today and we want to improve this.

So, normally, the website is translated via Git. There are a lot of
website strings that change often and that is one reason why we do not
intend to import them to Transifex. (the corresponding files in the
Tails git repository are in wiki/src/)

The files in /po are the files which are pulled from Transifex. They
correspond to our custom programs.

However, for example the french team handles *all* translations via Git.
So they have the /po files pulled from Transifex but ignore them.

Your team can choose to do as they please, too. You should decide
together how you want to handle this.

Please keep us informed about your decision though, so we can update the
documentation on tails.boum.org accordingly.

> 3. What is the relation between the strings in transifex and the strings in
>    the tails git repository?

I think i answered this above.
If not, please do not hesitate to ask again :)

> That's it for now, we'll probably have more in the near future. ;)

Cheers,
u.

[0] https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6968
[1] https://www.transifex.com/projects/p/torproject/