Re: [Tails-dev] Slower boot on experimental branch

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Slower boot on experimental branch
Hi,

intrigeri wrote (09 Aug 2014 11:42:17 GMT) :
> sajolida@??? wrote (09 Aug 2014 11:07:28 GMT) :
>> But I noticed that the boot is much slower that with Tails 1.1. Using
>> the same USB stick and manual installation here is the time it takes for
>> the X61 to reach the desktop:

>>   - Tails 1.1    42 seconds
>>   - Tails 1.2    106 seconds

>> So that's more that double the previous time!

TL;DR: could you please retry with an ISO built from current
experimental, with the default compression options? (*not* gzip
compression, which is set by the Vagrant thing unless the
'defaultcomp' build option is used, if I understand the Vagrant build
doc correctly). Hint: the resulting ISO should be much smaller than
the 1.1 one.

Below, I'll assume that you downloaded the latest nightly built ISO,
right, and did *not* build a (gzip compressed, by default) ISO
yourself, when doing the tests you were reporting about.

In a libvirt/QEMU VM, booting from bare metal DVD, I get the exact
same boot time with 1.1 and current experimental. That's with a pretty
fast CPU, so even if the decompression of the smaller SquashFS is
heavier on the CPU, I won't have noticed as the boot process is likely
IO-bound in this case.

Now, I have resolved #6372 (in stable, devel and experimental), which
should help. Here are my results in libvirt/QEMU VM, booting from bare
metal DVD:

  * 1.1 1:38
  * previous experimental branch (similar to what sajolida tested,
    assuming he was not testing a gzip compressed SquashFS) 1:39
  * current stable branch (with updated SquashFS sort file) 0:48
  * today's experimental (with updated SquashFS sort file) 0:54

I'll try to test this from USB on a slightly old laptop later today.