[Tails-dev] Roadmap amendments proposal

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev
Subject: [Tails-dev] Roadmap amendments proposal
Hi,

at the contributors summit, we reinforced our current 2.0 and 3.0
definitions as the broad priorities we have for the next year(s).
Then, we started refining these milestones, but it was too daunting
a task to fine tune all details.

So, IIRC we decided we had until early September (?) to propose
roadmap patches here, and then we will use the mailing-list + the
October monthly meeting to turn proposals into decisions.

I'm hereby nominating these tickets:

- #6092 ("Test suite: liveusb-creator hangs late") and #7060 ("Fix
automated test suite's "I run ..." step") for 2.0, as they're making
my life a pain way too often, and moreover they block #5288 ("Run
the test suite automatically on autobuilt ISOs") that is itself
a goal for 3.0.

- #5472 ("Automatically test behavior on boot medium removal") for
2.0, on the grounds that it is one of our last manual tests that
require booting Tails on bare metal due to lack of automation (and
when the tester only has one laptop, they have to shutdown their
"normal" system to try that).

- #7042 ("Remove Squeeze-only workaround for the HashType enum in
Tails::IUK::TargetFile::Download") for 2.0: this kind of small
clean-ups is part of saving our codebase from bitrot.

- #6918 ("Track hardening status of the binaries shipped in Tails")
for 3.0, but maybe non-blocking: this would help anyone working on
hardening flags in Debian to focus their work on the packages we
care about, if they wish so.

- #7724 ("Sandbox I2P") for 3.0, to mitigate the effects of security
vulnerabilities in I2P. Note that we already have #6081 ("Sandbox
Tor") on our plate for 3.0, so adding #7724 would make our plans
more consistent IMO.

- #7725 ("Isolate I2P web browsing from Tor") for 3.0, on the grounds
that it's easier to just do it, than to harden our "stuff everything
in the same browser" current design against dangerous I2P/Tor mixes.