[Tails-dev] [review:1.2] feature/5650-rngd

Author: intrigeri
To: tails-dev, David Goulet
Subject: [Tails-dev] [review:1.2] feature/5650-rngd
Hi,

there's been quite some thought put into random numbers generation in
Tails recently. An initial improvement is mostly ready, and would like
to see it included in 1.2, hence this initial review request.

What I'd like to see reviewed first is that design doc draft:
https://git-tails.immerda.ch/tails/plain/wiki/src/contribute/design/random.mdwn?h=feature/5650-rngd

I think David Goulet, ioerror, jvoisin and Jurre would probably be the
best persons to review this. Hence, tentatively assigned the ticket to
David. But more eyes would be better, so anyone else, don't hesitate
providing feedback too! Thanks in advance :)

Meta: in this thread, let's please focus on the specific aspects
covered by #5650 and the corresponding branch, which does *not*
address the fixed random seed issue (#7642), nor the non-persistent
random seed one (#7675), nor the early boot time problem (#6116).

I'd like to see *this* bit merged for 1.2 to start with, rather than
a lengthy discussion about the many other ways in which we could (or
should) do better, if we had unlimited resources and time. Baby steps
FTW :) Now, in other areas (e.g. #7642) we're almost at the point when
we can decide how to go ahead, and it might be that we manage to fix
some other problems in 1.2. So, feel free to discuss these other
matters on the relevant tickets, or in other, dedicated
threads. Thanks!