Re: [Tails-dev] quickstart for new developer?

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, alasdairgyoung
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] quickstart for new developer?
> Vagrant itself works perfectly fine - I can run vagrant up and
> connect no problem.

That's a pretty good news, actually!

> My main interests lie in finding new attacks against tails (and fixing
> them) and making the software absurdly easy to use on just about every
> machine. At some point I'd also be interested in porting tails to run on
> android - an obvious way would just to run a modified version of tails in a
> chroot environment, similar to what the pwnpad people do. (Of course, the
> ideal case is being able to dual boot via an SD card).
>
> Right now, I was planning on picking an "easy" task like adding a reboot
> button to the installer for the persistence setup but even something like
> that needs the full toolchain it seems.

Actually, the whole idea of the "easy" tasks is to not require a full
toolchain. So if this is the case, it needs to be fixed.

For example, it is possible to work on the Greeter by doing:

1. Boot Tails and set up an administration password.
2. Modify the local copy of the Python files.
3. Press Ctrl + Alt + F1 to Switch to a console.
4. Login as root.
5. Restart GDM by doing "service gdm* restart".

But please, don't hesitate to ask for clarification if you plan to work
on some "easy" tasks. It is often difficult for us to know how much
details we should put in such tickets or to motivate ourselves to detail
them a lot if we don't know that people are going to work on it. So you
might find them in pretty obscure states sometimes...

--
sajolida