Re: [Tails-dev] quickstart for new developer?

Author: Alasdair Young
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] quickstart for new developer?
Thanks for the feedback :)

Vagrant itself works perfectly fine - I can run vagrant up and connect no
problem.

As for coding, I've been a developer for around 12 years now and have
strong skills in a bunch of web technologies (my day job). I'm also
moderately decent at things involving hardware (a few years of reverse
engineering protocols for physical security systems). My main languages are
java, ruby and js/coffeescript (frontend and node.js) and a somewhat rusty
knowledge of C (but not much c++).

I think I know more than the average developer about security and different
attack vectors.

My main interests lie in finding new attacks against tails (and fixing
them) and making the software absurdly easy to use on just about every
machine. At some point I'd also be interested in porting tails to run on
android - an obvious way would just to run a modified version of tails in a
chroot environment, similar to what the pwnpad people do. (Of course, the
ideal case is being able to dual boot via an SD card).

Right now, I was planning on picking an "easy" task like adding a reboot
button to the installer for the persistence setup but even something like
that needs the full toolchain it seems. I'm happy to go install wheezy on a
spare box but it would be nice in the long run if things worked on a mac as
well.

Is this enough information?

- alasdair

I was going to take on one of the easy tasks like "add a reboot button to
the installer for persistence"