Re: [Tails-l10n] german: proposed change in tails-greeter

Author: flapflap
To: tails-l10n
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] german: proposed change in tails-greeter
>> @flapflap, @u: Do you already have a list of 'standard translation'?
>
> No. My last information on this issue was that we wanted to have a
> little IRC meeting to talk about how to constitute this list. That never
> happened though :)
>
> Maybe we could create a ticket on Redmine, under translation issues, and
> start building a glossary which would be closely related to Tails and
> Tor and which we could rely on? Could this be done using a script in
> first place and then some human intervention on script output?

No, I too don't have a list.

Do you mean a script to (1) generate the glossary, or to (2)
enforce/check it on the translations?
For both of them I'd have no idea how to do that.
For (2) the only way might be to grep for special English words (e.g.
taken from a glossary file) and then manually inspect how these are
translated in German. But grepping alone is not enough: some files just
have the pure strings and some fixed line width, so the newline
sometimes breaks a word (these entries have a 'no-wrap' flag if I'm not
mistaken...)
The basic problem (I guess) is that we know a _correct_ word (from the
glossary), but don't know all the ways to translate it _wrong_ and so we
can't grep for wrong words (which would be what we as a user would like
to have: a script that says where wrong translations are that need to be
fixed).

~flapflap

PS: unfortunately, I'll be very busy during the next 6 weeks, so please
apologise if it takes a while until I respond...