Re: [Tails-dev] Setting curl's user-agent to the same as Tor…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Setting curl's user-agent to the same as Tor Browser?
Hi,

jvoisin wrote (22 Jun 2014 10:26:14 GMT) :
> On 06/22/2014 12:14 PM, intrigeri wrote:
>> This is Tails. Everything goes through Tor by default, so what you're
>> telling here is basically "don't use Tails for cleartext HTTP". So I'm
>> curious: do you really think we should limit the supported Tails
>> usecases that far?
> I think that people that are techy enough to use curl in Tails are
> knowing what they're doing when they use cleartext HTTP, and are
> (hopefully) trying to avoid using it.

Sorry for playing the devil's advocate, but I'm unsure about that.
Technical expertise about Unix CLI is one thing; specialized expertise
about Tor/anonymity/security as a totally different thing. I don't
think we can expect people who have the first kind of expertise, to
automatically have the 2nd kind. I think Tails should aim, within
reasonable bounds, to prevent even the first class of people from
easily shooting themselves in the foot. Now, the question is how this
user agent header thing fits in the "within reasonable bounds" scale,
and how it's balanced with other things we have to take into account.