Re: [Tails-dev] Setting curl's user-agent to the same as Tor…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Setting curl's user-agent to the same as Tor Browser?
Hi,

Jacob Appelbaum wrote (22 Jun 2014 16:16:17 GMT) :
> On 6/22/14, intrigeri <intrigeri@???> wrote:
>> On the other hand, the fingerprint of curl probably differs in many
>> other ways. So, for an attacker that looks at it more closely, a curl
>> HTTP client pretending to be Firefox is part of a very small
>> anonymity set.

> We should fix the issues we discover and as we learn more, we should
> evaluate each change.

I agree that it would be good if some ideal "we" did this, but I'm
very unsure that Tails can take responsibility for starting what could
very well be a never-ending quest. Anyway, it's hard to know how hard
this mission would be, before we know the answer to:

> That said - for a single GET request, we should study the various
> clients on Tails and determine if this hypothesis (easy to
> fingerprint) is correct.

That would be good to know, indeed. Any taker?