Re: [Tails-dev] Tails splash screen idea

Author: intrigeri
To: Tarun Rathor, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails splash screen idea
Hi,

(Over-quoting Just to relay Frank's comments to Tarun Rathor, in case
they don't read the list and need to be Cc'd. I do read the list,
please don't Cc me. If that's the same for you, just tell us.)

Frank leTanque wrote (26 Jun 2014 00:00:01 GMT) :
> Apologize in advance if I seem rude. Consider this constructive criticism.
> I'm a design enthusiast, novice practitioner, and studied design. All my
> points/questions will be bulletted out in no particular order:

>    - If it ain't broke, why fix it?
>    - If you're going to fix something that's not broken, what do you hope
>    to achieve? What do you risk?
>    - Proportions and grids are a designers best friend. Without using and
>    understanding them, are they still your friends?
>    - What was wrong with the v1 splash screen?
>    - Imagine balloons filled with equal amounts of water that need to exist
>    in between every character. Would the balloons be equal in "Tails"? This is
>    the basic concept of kerning.
>    - By laying the USB stick down, you create a space from where the edge
>    of the USB stick is and the screen which gives the splash screen much more
>    dimension than it had before.
>    - The sans-serif font you chose is different and appropriate, but the
>    lower-case "a" in the most recent splash is beautiful. Is it a good idea to
>    change to a typeface with less character? Maybe, maybe not.
>    - Is it necessary to say operating system? Does that need to be there,
>    does that make the design evoke more emotion or thought or fear or
>    contemplation?
>    - The solid block represents the terminal cursor, but tails is a gui
>    based OS; does this break the conceptual flow?
>    - The design of your splash is positioned entirely above the menu and
>    footer text of the menu, creating a 50/50 flow of elements. Is this a good
>    choice to make?

> My opinion is that it does one interesting thing, which is creates the
> space. But it looses the "happy face" of the USB connector. And the overall
> proportions are no longer flowy, but a little tense.

Thanks for creating this splash screen.

Note that Tails is written "Tails", not "TAILS".

I'm curious to read Tarun Rathor's answers to Frank questions.