Re: [Tails-dev] Tails splash screen idea

Author: Frank leTanque
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tails splash screen idea
Apologize in advance if I seem rude. Consider this constructive criticism.
I'm a design enthusiast, novice practitioner, and studied design. All my
points/questions will be bulletted out in no particular order:

- If it ain't broke, why fix it?
- If you're going to fix something that's not broken, what do you hope
to achieve? What do you risk?
- Proportions and grids are a designers best friend. Without using and
understanding them, are they still your friends?
- What was wrong with the v1 splash screen?
- Imagine balloons filled with equal amounts of water that need to exist
in between every character. Would the balloons be equal in "Tails"? This is
the basic concept of kerning.
- By laying the USB stick down, you create a space from where the edge
of the USB stick is and the screen which gives the splash screen much more
dimension than it had before.
- The sans-serif font you chose is different and appropriate, but the
lower-case "a" in the most recent splash is beautiful. Is it a good idea to
change to a typeface with less character? Maybe, maybe not.
- Is it necessary to say operating system? Does that need to be there,
does that make the design evoke more emotion or thought or fear or
contemplation?
- The solid block represents the terminal cursor, but tails is a gui
based OS; does this break the conceptual flow?
- The design of your splash is positioned entirely above the menu and
footer text of the menu, creating a 50/50 flow of elements. Is this a good
choice to make?

My opinion is that it does one interesting thing, which is creates the
space. But it looses the "happy face" of the USB connector. And the overall
proportions are no longer flowy, but a little tense.

*---*
TANQUE
wickr: letanque | tanque.pro | get@???

*PGPKey: *
http://pool.sks-keyservers.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x929D2552A998B662

*CONFIDENTIALITY STATEMENT: This email message, together with all
attachments, is intended only for the individual or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain legally privileged or confidential information.
Any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication by persons
or entities other than the intended recipient, is strictly prohibited, and
may be unlawful. If you have received this communication in error please
contact the sender immediately and delete the transmitted material and all
copies from your system, or if received in hard copy format, return the
material to us via the United States Postal Service. Thank you. *