Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.1] bugfix/7343-static-uids…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.1] bugfix/7343-static-uids and bugfix/7338-migrate-nm-persistence-setting
Hi,

anonym wrote (12 Jun 2014 21:39:07 GMT) :
> For bugfix/7338-migrate-nm-persistence-setting I was initially wondering
> what you had in mind for read-only persistence, and indeed you had
> thought about it. However, like you mention in you "XXX", I don't think
> we should error out. The user won't get the exact error show to them
> upon failure in Tails Greeter, right?

Right, they won't see it. We will, if they send a complete bug report.
That's exactly the way we've handled things last time we had to
migrate persistence settings (see commit e94820a), and it didn't raise
enough complains for me to suddenly start treating it as an important
problem now. That's a broader problem (#5292), and other features
exposed in the Greeter are affected too (see e.g.
how tails-unblock-network failure is handled in PostLogin.default).

So, IMO error'ing out it good enough, provided a note about this is
added to the 1.1 release notes. I've just pushed a reminder about it
into wiki/src/news/version_1.1.mdwn on the topic branch.

>> I've kept the old GConf NM persistence setting enabled, after
>> migrating to the new location. I'm unsure about it. If you prefer
>> I drop it, I can do that, just tell me. We'll of course want to keep
>> the data around in $PERSISTENCE/nm-connections anyway.

> IMHO the line should be removed from persistence.conf. I can see no
> point in keeping it (except for downgrades to <1.1 but that we shouldn't
> care about), and there's no way a user can remove it through the t-p-s
> GUI, not that it ever should be a big deal.

OK, done in 4f836e14. I'll reassign to you for merging once I've
tested it.