Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.1] bugfix/7343-static-uids…

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge:1.1] bugfix/7343-static-uids and bugfix/7338-migrate-nm-persistence-setting
30/05/14 22:38, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> please review'n'merge these two branches for 1.1. It's hard to test
> the fix for #7338 before fixing #7343, hence the common pull request.

I've merged bugfix/7343-static-uids.

For bugfix/7338-migrate-nm-persistence-setting I was initially wondering
what you had in mind for read-only persistence, and indeed you had
thought about it. However, like you mention in you "XXX", I don't think
we should error out. The user won't get the exact error show to them
upon failure in Tails Greeter, right?

> Unfortunately, the persistent NM connections are not migrated.
> I suspect the Wi-Fi secrets might be kept, though, since they're
> stored in GNOME keyring in Wheezy too.

Sure, but the uuids are lost, so I doubt the secrets are of any help.

> I've kept the old GConf NM persistence setting enabled, after
> migrating to the new location. I'm unsure about it. If you prefer
> I drop it, I can do that, just tell me. We'll of course want to keep
> the data around in $PERSISTENCE/nm-connections anyway.

IMHO the line should be removed from persistence.conf. I can see no
point in keeping it (except for downgrades to <1.1 but that we shouldn't
care about), and there's no way a user can remove it through the t-p-s
GUI, not that it ever should be a big deal.

Cheers!