Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence

Author: David Stainton
To: intrigeri
CC: tahoe-dev, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Tahoe-LAFS persistence
> Additionally, on any relevant Debian system, the command-line sftp
> client is shipped as part of the openssh-client package, that is
> installed in Tails.
>
>> Does it come with a Bittorrent client?
>
> No: https://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#index22h2
>
>> Can we make Tahoe-LAFS be the third thing next to those two things?
>
> I'm not sure I get what you mean by "next to those two things".

I think what Zooko is suggesting is that the Tahoe-LAFS debian package
be included in the Tails releases.
Now that we have debian packages and a maintainer is there any reason not to?

Tahoe-LAFS works fine on Tails. A user would be able to upload and
download from a grid with the existing
Tahoe commandline tools. Unlike a Bittorrent client, Tahoe-LAFS would
not cause so many Tor circuits to be built...
and IMHO would not harm the Tor network.

My previous suggestions for Tahoe-LAFS + Tails integration are
essentially a suggestion to use Tahoe-LAFS as part of a backup
strategy for the contents of the Tails persistent volume. This is a
very specific use case... and it isn't the only way to use Tails and
Tahoe together.

On a slight tangent: Tahoe-LAFS works with Tor just fine... but it
currently requires using torsocks. I am currently working on native
Tor integration for Tahoe-LAFS which will offer several advantages...
but I don't want to discuss it here... I merely mention it. If/when
Tails ships with Tahoe-LAFS I would be more than happy to contribute
documentation to help users with using Tahoe-LAFS + Tor on Tails.

Cheers!

David