Re: [Tails-dev] Virtual Machines and VPN

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Virtual Machines and VPN
Michael Brewer:
> I have read most of the website information about these topics.
> Is your position still not to recommend either approaches?

It depends what you mean by that. If you want to use a VPN instead of
Tor, then it's a bad idea because it won't provide you with strong
anonymity. But maybe that's fine for you. If you mean VPN before or
after Tor, then that's different and we want to support that at some
point. See http://tails.boum.org/support/faq/#vpn

Regarding VM, again it depends. If you trust enough your host system,
then VM can be ok. We use them all the time to work on Tails for example.
> I noticed some verbiage stating VPN could be accomplished on TAILS, not
> easily.
> Does anyone have setup guide to use VPN with TAILS?

I don't think there is any.

> Any interest in the dev group for VM implementations? If so which is
> preferred: Vbox or VMware?

Here we go, VMware is a proprietary software that nobody can analyze in
depth but the people who are selling it to you for profit. I would put
very little trust into that kind of things.

--
sajolida