Re: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1?

Author: anonym
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1?
27/05/14 18:29, intrigeri wrote:
> Hi,
>
> anonym wrote (09 May 2014 10:38:41 GMT) :
>> I'll be release manager for the Tails 1.1 release. Here's the
>> preliminary release schedule:
>
>>   2014-05-28   Feature freeze.
>>                Tag 1.1-rc1 in Git.
>>                Build and upload 1.1-rc1 ISO/IUKs.
>>   2014-05-29   Test 1.1-rc1.
>>   2014-05-30   Officially release 1.1-rc1.
>>   [...]

> tl;dr: I think we should postpone Tails 1.1, release 1.1~beta1 instead
> in 3 days, 1.0.1 on June 11, and 1.1 on July 22.

I agree.

[...]
> The only things that I'm really worried about are:
>
> * The lack of a finalized Windows Camouflage mode.

I think we need clearer goals on what "finalized" is here. I have the
feeling that me and Alan disagrees a bit on how far we need to take this
theme. The details shouldn't be discussed here but in the dedicated
thread, of course, but my point is that depending on our perspective, we
may be more or less done with this feature now.

>   * The fact we've been discovering quite a few obvious regressions in
>     the last few weeks, and even days... which makes me think that
>     there's a number of less obvious issues we've not spotted yet.
>     If we release RC1 in 3 days, we'll have about a week to fix all
>     regressions found by early testers. That's not much.

Agreed.

> So, I'm hereby proposing that we:
>
>   * Build/test/release 1.1~beta1 on May 28-30 (just as planned,
>     s/rc/beta/)

>   * Advertise the 1.1~beta1 call for testing the best we can.
>     Oh, and test it ourselves quite a bit, too ;)

>   * Release a 1.0.1 point-release, based on Squeeze, on June 11,
>     instead of the planned 1.1 final.

This sounds ok to me. Just to get this straight: you suggest we skip a
1.0.1~rc1? If so I think I agree; managing both 1.1~beta1 and 1.0.1~rc1
at the same time would be both very stressful (for me at least) and
probably confusing for our users since the version numbers are pretty
similar.

>   * Release 1.1 on July 22 (which probably means a freeze + RC1 during
>     the summit).

This timing seems pretty bad to me. It'd be a shame to spend valuable
time during the summit on near-freeze fixes and building the RC. Given
our track record, I wouldn't trust that we'd have everything essentially
ready before the summit, and even if we did, the normal processes are
quite time consuming on their own.

What about if we instead have an unusually early freeze for 1.1? E.g.
freeze and build 1.1~rc1 on July 1, test 1.1~rc1 on July 2, and release
1.1~rc1 on July 3? In case I'll be RM for 1.1 (again :)), it'd work for
me since I'll start travelling to the summit on July 4. I wouldn't
necessarily enjoy it, though, because I think I'd like a couple of days
off right before the summit. Still, it'd be better than "wasting" summit
time on the 1.1 release work.

Cheers!