[Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1? [Was: Release schedule for Tails…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: [Tails-dev] Postponing 1.1? [Was: Release schedule for Tails 1.1]
Hi,

anonym wrote (09 May 2014 10:38:41 GMT) :
> I'll be release manager for the Tails 1.1 release. Here's the
> preliminary release schedule:

>   2014-05-28   Feature freeze.
>                Tag 1.1-rc1 in Git.
>                Build and upload 1.1-rc1 ISO/IUKs.
>   2014-05-29   Test 1.1-rc1.
>   2014-05-30   Officially release 1.1-rc1.
>   [...]

tl;dr: I think we should postpone Tails 1.1, release 1.1~beta1 instead
in 3 days, 1.0.1 on June 11, and 1.1 on July 22.

The current state of the release manager view [1] looks quite
concerning at first glance, but things are not *that* bad. I think
we're doing pretty well considering how late work on various large
tasks was started or resumed.

[1] https://labs.riseup.net/code/projects/tails/issues?per_page=100&query_id=147

Assuming all branches currently pending review'n'merge are good, our
devel branch currently looks like a good 1.1~beta1 to me.

  * I doubt we'll be able to easily fix the two regressions we've
    already spotted (#7249 and #7285), even if we were given
    more time.

  * The update of the documentation inherited from Incognito (#5977)
    was already postponed from 1.0, and is not finished yet, but
    I guess it can be done by June 8, or postponed again with no big
    harm done.

  * The Liferea thingie needs more work, but well, worst case, we just
    don't merge it for 1.1.

  * I still plan to do enough doc update next week for UEFI support to
    make sense.

The only things that I'm really worried about are:

* The lack of a finalized Windows Camouflage mode.

  * The fact we've been discovering quite a few obvious regressions in
    the last few weeks, and even days... which makes me think that
    there's a number of less obvious issues we've not spotted yet.
    If we release RC1 in 3 days, we'll have about a week to fix all
    regressions found by early testers. That's not much.

So, I'm hereby proposing that we:

  * Build/test/release 1.1~beta1 on May 28-30 (just as planned,
    s/rc/beta/)

  * Advertise the 1.1~beta1 call for testing the best we can.
    Oh, and test it ourselves quite a bit, too ;)

  * Release a 1.0.1 point-release, based on Squeeze, on June 11,
    instead of the planned 1.1 final.

  * Release 1.1 on July 22 (which probably means a freeze + RC1 during
    the summit).

Incidentally, this would get our release schedule back on tracks with
Mozilla's, so that we have a major released planned for October 14,
when ESR24 reaches end-of-life and we have to switch to ESR31.

And maybe Liferea persistence can be brought to a plausible mergeable
state early enough to be reviewed, and improved if needed, for 1.1~rc1.

Thoughts?