Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/5711-liferea…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge feature/5711-liferea-persistence-preset
Hi,

anonym wrote (26 May 2014 14:12:02 GMT) :
> Ok, whichever way suites you best.

I've fixed the issues I had identified, reviewed Alan's work, fixed
a few other issues, pushed and tested everything, but built no .deb.
I'm now quite more happy with the current content of these branches.

However, when testing, I have experienced "interesting" bugs, and
noticed a few problems:

* Feeds that I had already fetched, and read some articles from, are
empty after a reboot. When updating it again, the articles I had
read already now appeared as unread. I consider this to be
a clear blocker.

* Clicking on a feed title in the sidebar is not enough to update it.
One has to right-click -> Update. Arguably, that's a minor UI issue.
Is it a regression since Tails 1.0?

* Liferea has an internal browser, with JavaScript enabled.
Not checked if that's the same in Tails 1.0. This browser has a URL
bar, and can be used to browser random web pages. I consider this as
a serious bug: Tails should not allow people to so easily browse the
web with a much less protected browser, without being aware of the
possible problems it may cause. If that's a regression since 1.0,
then that's a clear blocker for merging this branch. Else, it's
"only" a Priority>>normal bug we've been carrying.

* If I don't have a Tor Browser running yet, "Right-click -> Open in
external browser" doesn't work for me: a new tab is open in Tor
Browser, with the right URL, but the page content is not loaded.
That external browser seems pretty much disfunctional anyway,
I can't load any URL in it. I bet it's simply because the "run with
torsocks" thing is inherited by the Tor Browser started by Liferea.
This leads me to think that using usewithtor/torsocks was a bad
idea, and that configuring a HTTP proxy in Liferea would be much
better. I think that's a blocker too.

So, I'm reassigning the relevant tickets to Alan, as more dev is
clearly needed. Please create subtasks for every detected issue, so
that we don't lose track of it. Alternatively, ask me to do so.

> Please revert 24e0293;

Done.