Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge doc/wheezy

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge doc/wheezy
intrigeri wrote (25 May 2014 21:28:24 GMT) :
> sajolida@??? wrote (18 May 2014 17:44:45 GMT) :
>> Please review and merge into devel.

> I'll try to do that tomorrow. To start with, I've merged current devel
> in it, to ease reviewing.

Before reviewing, I've merged the current state of master. Since all
PO files were updated in doc/wheezy in b626b3, I had to solve some
conflicts.

I've pushed a few minor fixes on top of doc/wheezy, when my changes
did not look controversial at first glance. I've merged this into
devel. Of course, feel free to improve, revert, discuss, etc.

Now come the things I'm less sure about:

> The desktop environment used in Tails is [GNOME 3](https://www.gnome.org).

Technically (as you very well know :), we're shipping GNOME 3, but
running it in Fallback mode. Do you think it's worth mentioning?
Granted, it would be more important to mention on the About page than
on this one
(doc/first_steps/introduction_to_gnome_and_the_tails_desktop), but I'm
wondering how wrong it is to make Tails users think that *this* is how
GNOME 3 is supposed to look like.

> The <span class="guisubmenu">System Tools</span> submenu allows you to customize
> the GNOME desktop or the system.

How about making it clear that such customization won't survive
a reboot? (No, that's not a regression brought by this branch, just
mentioning it in passing, as I wonder how much this sentence accounts
for the numerous reports we have of "my customizition are forgotten".)

Regarding commit 98dafca, I wonder if maybe two different note divs
would be better, since the two notes added there are actually
orthogonal. BTW, I would put the second one first, as it seems more
important to me, and maybe use a warning styling (assuming we have
one) rather than a note.

Regarding commit 0d2cb74 ("Remove big bullet points"), I'm curious
why. I only have heard good things about this clear indication that
one is making progress through a step-by-step process. OTOH, given
bc5b8e9, I get why we don't want two different numberings.

To end with, the instructions to install seahorse-nautilus on Debian
(doc/get/verify_the_iso_image_using_gnome) are wrong: unless specified
explicitly, apt-get won't automatically fetch the package
from backports.

That's all, now going to mark the tickets fix committed :)