[Tails-dev] Help needed on #5972: Fix virtualbox guest modul…

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
New-Topics: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_build [was: Help needed on #5972: Fix virtualbox guest modules build]
Subject: [Tails-dev] Help needed on #5972: Fix virtualbox guest modules build
I've been working on fixing the build of the VirtualBox guest modules in
Tails 1.1.

ticket: 5972
branch: bugfix/fix_virtualbox_dkms_build

- Good news: The build is fixed, way less hackish, and that was easy.
- Bad news: The modules don't work :(

When I say the modules don't work I mean that `VBoxClient --display`,
and `VBoxClient --clipboard` don't activate the resizable display and
shared clipboard. But the shared folders work. So that seems like a
error with X11, not with the modules themselves.

I tried to remove the hook
config/chroot_local-hooks/98-remove_unwanted_files in order to keep all
the udev rules, and stuff installed by the DKMS. Then the amnesia user
was allowed to start VBoxClient --display but the symptoms were the
same: nothing.

I tried the same version of the modules and the kernel on another
freshly installed Wheezy VM and they worked.

Even more weird, I tried to start this working VM with that last ISO
image and the resizing worked! Then I tried to create another fresh VM
from scratch with no disk and started it from that ISO image and the
resizing didn't work. I tried to compare the config file for both VMs
and didn't find anything relevant.

There's some serious VirtualBox black magic going on in here. That goes
beyond what I can handle right now.

Anyway, I'm absolutely not sure I'll be able to fix that before the
freeze. I'd rather concentrate on the documentation upgrades. So if any
VirtualBox user want to have a look...

--
sajolida