Re: [Tails-dev] Manually Install Using Mac (without rEFInd)

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, scorpion
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Manually Install Using Mac (without rEFInd)
Scorpion:
> I just got off IRC with a problem, where noone seemed to be able to help
> me. However, people did ask me to email the way I created a bootable USB
> for Mac without having to install rEFInd on the host computer.
>
> You will find the step-by-step instructions below. I will also post my
> problem, hoping someone involved in development and who is Mac savvy has a
> solution for me! At least, this may speed up problem solving a bit.
>
> Currently, the only option provided on the website to manually install
> using Mac is here:
> https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/mac/index.en.html-
> however, it requires rEFInd to be installed on the Mac computer,
> something people might not want. Instead, follow the steps below to create
> a bootable USB which can immediately be used. For this process, I used
> MacBook Air 6-1 (mid 2013).

Hi,

Thanks a lot for proposing those instructions.

Actually, the next version of Tails (1.1) will include support for UEFI,
and that will greatly improve the support for Mac, including without
having to install rEFInd.

See https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6242

Can you confirm that this would work?

If you want to test our experimental ISO images with UEFI support:

https://tails.boum.org/news/test_UEFI/

So the recommended workflow with Mac starting from 1.1 would be:

- Bootstrap from DVD. This works without rEFInd, right?
- Clone onto USB.
- Enjoy.

Can you confirm this would work?

In that case, I'm tempted to move the instructions for manual
installation on Mac (/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/mac/) in the
"Advanced topics" section.

>    - Download Tails ISO from the website, and copy it onto the desktop
>    (keep the original somewhere safe).

>    - Download syslinux (
>    http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/syslinux/syslinux_4.02+dfsg.orig.tar.gz),
>    extract, and copy isohybrid.pl from the /utils folder to the desktop.

>    - Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app)

>    - Change to desktop folder

>    - Type: cd desktop

>    - Type: perl isohybrid.pl *[tails.iso]*

>    - (replace *[tails.iso]* with the file name without [ ], or drag the
>    file and drop on terminal window, to paste the path and file name)

>    - Convert ISO to Mac IMG

>    - Type: hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o *[target] [tails.iso]*

>    - (replace *[target]* with IMG name without [ ] (extension DMG will
>    automatically be added), replace *[tails.iso]* with ISO name without [ ]

>    - If USB stick is plugged in, unplug it

>    - Type: diskutil list

>    - Plug in USB stick

>    - Type: diskutil list

>    - Determine the device node of the USB stick (e.g. /dev/disk2)

>    - Type: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk*N*

>    - (replace *N* with number of device node as seen after previous
>    command, and don't remove USB stick after unmounting)

>    - Type: sudo dd if=*[target.dmg]* of=/dev/rdisk*N* bs=1m

>    - (Replace *[target.dmg]* with the image created earlier without [ ],
>    replace *N* with number of device node -and note the rdisk- *ENTERING
>    THE WRONG NUMBER MAY COMPROMISE YOUR MAC BOOT DISK!* You can also use
>    disk instead of rdisk, but rdisk will be faster)

>    - If you see the error *dd: Invalid number '1m'* you are using GNU dd.
>    Use the same command but replace *bs=1m* with *bs=1M*

>    - If you see the error *dd: /dev/diskN: Resource busy*, make sure the
>    disk is not in use. Start the 'Disk Utility.app' and unmount (don't eject)
>    the drive

>    - Wait until the prompt returns.

>    - Type: diskutil eject /dev/disk*N*

>    - (Replace *N* with number of device node. Remove USB stick, reboot Mac
>    and hold alt/option key while the Mac is restarting. When you insert the
>    USB stick, you should see a new disk which you can select and boot from it.
>    However, on my computer it's called Windows for some reason (probably
>    because I use BootCamp and have both Mac and Windows installed)

If I understand correctly, the main improvement in your instructions is
that you convert the ISO image to DMG using hdiutil, right? Then the
rest is basically the same (with some extra improvements), no?

So maybe we can add this as an option to the current instructions, once
we moved them to the "Advanced topics" section.

> The only problem I have is that WiFi won't work. Since the MacBook Air has
> no ethernet port, you can see how this poses a problem.

I'm not sure that's something we can solve. I think that some drivers
are not available in Linux yet.

> I tried installing drivers using the websites
> https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple/MacBookAir/6-1 and
> https://wiki.debian.org/wl, but wireless-tools gives me an error regarding
> kernel headers not found, and on IRC people tell me I can't install any
> drivers. So if you have a solution to this little problem, that would be
> great! In the mean time, the links provided could help you add drivers for
> future versions, possibly.

I don't think we want to encourage people to download, compile, and
install drivers found on the wild Internet. I think the temporary
workaround is to work with a Wi-Fi USB stick with support in Linux, and
the real solution is to wait until the drivers land in Linux.

--
sajolida