[Tails-dev] Manually Install Using Mac (without rEFInd)

Author: Scorpion
To: Tails Development
Subject: [Tails-dev] Manually Install Using Mac (without rEFInd)
Hi there,

I just got off IRC with a problem, where noone seemed to be able to help
me. However, people did ask me to email the way I created a bootable USB
for Mac without having to install rEFInd on the host computer.

You will find the step-by-step instructions below. I will also post my
problem, hoping someone involved in development and who is Mac savvy has a
solution for me! At least, this may speed up problem solving a bit.

Currently, the only option provided on the website to manually install
using Mac is here:
https://tails.boum.org/doc/first_steps/installation/manual/mac/index.en.html-
however, it requires rEFInd to be installed on the Mac computer,
something people might not want. Instead, follow the steps below to create
a bootable USB which can immediately be used. For this process, I used
MacBook Air 6-1 (mid 2013).

- Download Tails ISO from the website, and copy it onto the desktop
(keep the original somewhere safe).

- Download syslinux (
http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/main/s/syslinux/syslinux_4.02+dfsg.orig.tar.gz),
extract, and copy isohybrid.pl from the /utils folder to the desktop.

- Open Terminal (Applications > Utilities > Terminal.app)

- Change to desktop folder

- Type: cd desktop

- Type: perl isohybrid.pl *[tails.iso]*

- (replace *[tails.iso]* with the file name without [ ], or drag the
file and drop on terminal window, to paste the path and file name)

- Convert ISO to Mac IMG

- Type: hdiutil convert -format UDRW -o *[target] [tails.iso]*

- (replace *[target]* with IMG name without [ ] (extension DMG will
automatically be added), replace *[tails.iso]* with ISO name without [ ]

- If USB stick is plugged in, unplug it

- Type: diskutil list

- Plug in USB stick

- Type: diskutil list

- Determine the device node of the USB stick (e.g. /dev/disk2)

- Type: diskutil unmountDisk /dev/disk*N*

- (replace *N* with number of device node as seen after previous
command, and don't remove USB stick after unmounting)

- Type: sudo dd if=*[target.dmg]* of=/dev/rdisk*N* bs=1m

- (Replace *[target.dmg]* with the image created earlier without [ ],
replace *N* with number of device node -and note the rdisk- *ENTERING
THE WRONG NUMBER MAY COMPROMISE YOUR MAC BOOT DISK!* You can also use
disk instead of rdisk, but rdisk will be faster)

- If you see the error *dd: Invalid number '1m'* you are using GNU dd.
Use the same command but replace *bs=1m* with *bs=1M*

- If you see the error *dd: /dev/diskN: Resource busy*, make sure the
disk is not in use. Start the 'Disk Utility.app' and unmount (don't eject)
the drive

- Wait until the prompt returns.

- Type: diskutil eject /dev/disk*N*

- (Replace *N* with number of device node. Remove USB stick, reboot Mac
and hold alt/option key while the Mac is restarting. When you insert the
USB stick, you should see a new disk which you can select and boot from it.
However, on my computer it's called Windows for some reason (probably
because I use BootCamp and have both Mac and Windows installed)

The only problem I have is that WiFi won't work. Since the MacBook Air has
no ethernet port, you can see how this poses a problem.

I tried installing drivers using the websites
https://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn/Apple/MacBookAir/6-1 and
https://wiki.debian.org/wl, but wireless-tools gives me an error regarding
kernel headers not found, and on IRC people tell me I can't install any
drivers. So if you have a solution to this little problem, that would be
great! In the mean time, the links provided could help you add drivers for
future versions, possibly.

In case of any reply regarding my problem, please note that I am new to
Mac, very new to Tails, and rather inexperienced with Linux or IRC.

Best regards,
Scorpion / ScorpsPortal