Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge] feature/torbrowser-24.5.0es…

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] [review'n'merge] feature/torbrowser-24.5.0esr-1+tails1
intrigeri wrote (09 May 2014 16:31:29 GMT) :
> Fine with me, if the user feedback for TBB 3.6.x has not exposed
> serious issues on this front. I've seen at least one ticket in passing
> that did not look good. Maybe ask the TBB and Tor QA people?

I went ahead and asked the TBB support folks. I'm told that "some
people complained that it was orders of magnitude slower", and also
that "there was evidence that the NSA and the GCHQ used JS type
inference and asm.js speedups to exploit firefox, we're not sure if
these are both needed for the JIT, or if the JIT enables some other
type inference codepath".

GeKo says that "there are no plans to revert these yet". So, I'm going
to review feature/torbrowser-24.5.0esr-1+tails1 and merge it as-is,
ignoring this topic for now.

I've asked on Tor#9387 for the TBB team's plans regarding this, added
anonym to the Cc list for this ticket and assigned #7127 to anonym.