Re: [Tails-dev] Firefox sha256sum checker

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list, griffin
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Firefox sha256sum checker
Griffin Boyce:
> Hi all,
>
>    Arma and intrigeri suggested I shoot y'all an email.  I built a
> sha256sum generator into a Chrome app, and the code might be portable
> to Firefox.  Arma'd indicated that TAILS needs a replacement hash
> generator, since the current one is incompatible with recent ff
> versions.  Not sure how useful this is for your project though -- in
> my case, I'm distributing bundles, so made sense to include.

> Relevant code is in the Satori repo, specifically:
> https://github.com/glamrock/Satori/blob/master/chrome/sparkle.js
> https://github.com/glamrock/Satori/blob/master/chrome/compiled.js
> https://github.com/glamrock/Satori/blob/master/chrome/menu.html

It took a while for your proposal to mature in my head...

Do you think we could replace Firefox and MD5 Reborned Hasher by Chrome
and your app in our documentation?

The reasons why we chose Firefox were because:

A. Many people already have it installed.
B. It is multiplatform, we needed a technique to work on both Windows
and Mac.
C. The installation of both the browser and the extension are
authenticated, at least using HTTPS while downloading, at best using
OpenPGP through distributions like Debian.

Can you confirm that the same arguments would work for Chrome too?

Then, I never used Chrome before, but how would I got and use your app
actually? Is that an extension to install or what? :)

--
sajolida