Re: [Tails-dev] Firefox sha256sum checker

Author: intrigeri
To: Griffin Boyce, The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Firefox sha256sum checker
Hi,

Griffin Boyce wrote (25 Mar 2014 19:06:36 GMT) :
> If this is interesting, I can at least disentangle the code from the
> Satori app, add md5/sha1, and make a standalone repo. It will run as
> a local webpage just fine. I might not have the time to turn it into
> a FireFox extension though.

Thanks!

I doubt we internally have the time and expertise to turn it into
a Firefox extension instead. I would hate having you do the
disentangling work, if we cannot use it. I'm therefore going to add
a note on the relevant ticket (#6245) with your offer, so that it's
clear to anyone who wants to help us with this that you can provide
a nice starting point.

But perhaps I'm missing the point, so I'd like to ask you
a clarification first: assuming you make it possible to run this code
as a local webpage, what would be the resulting UX for downloading and
checksum'ing a file?

> The issue with the current hasher (MD5 Reborned Hasher) is that it
> is basically unmaintained. It hooks into the old download functions,
> so when FF 26 changed how it manages downloads, the extension broke
> entirely (#6245).

Right. Another option would be to use DownThemAll instead:

https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/6664

Any opinion or experience on it?