Re: [Tails-dev] Logo integration

Author: intrigeri
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Logo integration
Hi,

sajolida@??? wrote (15 Apr 2014 18:39:24 GMT) :
> Then I worked on the website, implemented a banner based on CSS, and
> then fixed the rest of types. See attachment.

Looks pretty good to me. Lacks a grain of cuteness added somewhere on
the banner, but I'll shut up about it until 1.0 is out, I guess.

Now, I find there's a bit too much purple in the homepage. OTOH, I've
seen others suggest that we even turn the download button to purple
too, so I don't know.

> A concerned I had was about the inclusion of the origin TTF files in the
> source tree. This font is really great because it has many weight: 9,
> for a total of 12 variants. I already felt the need to use 6 in the CSS.
> But each file is more than 100k and compresses quite badly.

> So, shall we:

> - Try to minimize the number of variants we use?
> - Link to an online version and not ship them in the ISO?
> - Don't care so much and enjoy the variants as much as we want?

I would not care much about seeing these fonts adding half a MiB to
the ISO (that's what I got from tar+bz2'ing all of those fonts together).

What I'm concerned about is how it's comfortable (or a pain) to browse
our website online, especially with Tor. Usually, one would just have
browsers fetch the fonts from Google, and share the cache with other
websites that use the same fonts. I don't think we want to do that on
our website, though. And even if we did, Tor Browser isolates cache by
first-level domain URL, so we can't rely on this kind of caching.

So, in the current state of things, I can't think of a good way to
heavily use web fonts on our website, without significantly degrading
visitor experience on poor Internet connections or with Tor.

> I also attached to this email two proposal with 2 boot screen.

I'll look at it later.