Re: [Tails-dev] Logo integration

Author: u
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Logo integration
Heya,

> Today I worked on integrating the new logo by Tchou.
>
> - Branch: feature/logo
> - Ticket: https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7090
>
> First I reworked a bit the math, alignment, and fixed a few bugs in the
> original SVG. Here is the result:
>
> http://git.tails.boum.org/tails/tree/wiki/src/lib/logo.svg?h=feature/logo
>
> Then I worked on the website, implemented a banner based on CSS, and
> then fixed the rest of types. See attachment.
>
> A concerned I had was about the inclusion of the origin TTF files in the
> source tree. This font is really great because it has many weight: 9,
> for a total of 12 variants. I already felt the need to use 6 in the CSS.
> But each file is more than 100k and compresses quite badly.
>
> So, shall we:
>
> - Try to minimize the number of variants we use?

yes i think so.
we will need only 3 weights maximum i guess. light, normal, bold.

> - Link to an online version and not ship them in the ISO?

i think they could be shipped, not as installed font, just for the
homepage right? this will also reduce http requests on these files..

> - Don't care so much and enjoy the variants as much as we want?
>
> I also attached to this email two proposal with 2 boot screen.

thanks!

> One is more classic with tiny drawings, and another one is more original
> with big images and types. The contrast is voluntarily low to defeat
> shoulder surfing. I like better the big one but it might look less
> discrete. I also thought about doing a version of the big one without
> the "Tails" too be more discrete.
>
> Tell me what do you think.

I like both too, but with a small preference for the small one.

> And a big thanks to all of you on IRC who participated in the brainstorming!

:)

cheers.
u.