Re: [Tails-dev] Restructuring the homepage [was: Re: Making …

Author: u
To: tails-dev
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Restructuring the homepage [was: Re: Making our website cuter, friendlier and more engaging]
sajolida@???:
> u:
>>>
>>> I think we need to work internally on the content and its structure
>>> before calling for graphic design. But yes, starting with the homepage
>>> might be a good exercise. So, as a first step, does anyone feel like
>>> thinking about the homepage in abstract terms?
>>
>> created a ticket https://labs.riseup.net/code/issues/7082 and attached a
>> first proposal. This is a mockup, not graphic design, so please judge
>> the contents, not the way it looks like :)
>>
>> Please read my idea for the pictures, what do you think about this?
>> I'm all for recycling great ideas! ;)
>
> I think it becomes difficult to talk about the content or structure of a
> page once you see a PNG mockup. People started debating the position of
> the menu, the colors, and personal taste. That doesn't look very
> bottom-up to me :)

I do agree completely.
As i said, we need to rethink this from the bottom up, take our time.

However, somebody said (on the list or on irc, i don't remember) that it
would be nice to have something ready for the 1.0 release. Something
better, not necessarily completely finished. That was why I made the
mockup. But your recent work does also accomplish this task I guess. :)

> Maybe I'd rather start writing a good old blueprint instead, and talk in
> more abstract terms:
>
> - What are the problems with the current homepage?
> - What do we want to achieve with this new homepage?

That would be nice to have a blueprint. would you be available to work
on this together?

> In a bit more concrete terms, we are already considering changes in the
> content:
>
> - Mentioning Tor, Debian, and free software
> - Your mockup remove the Security part

The security part should be somewhere on the homepage, i think i might
have taken it out in version 3 by accident.
There should be all the links to the warning page, and also the mention
that updating Tails regularly is necessary, with a link to further
reading on the security page.

> - People suggested adding the FAQ to the menu

+1

> - Your mockup added bits of the Contribute page
> - Tchou suggested mention the persistence, or that Tails is a way to
> carry around your documents encrypted.

+1

cheers,
u.