Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge doc/why_tor

Author: sajolida
To: The Tails public development discussion list
Subject: Re: [Tails-dev] Please review and merge doc/why_tor
intrigeri:
> "because the administrators of the VPN can know both where you are
> connecting from and where you are connecting to"
>
> --> How about mentioning that basically anyone who can monitor the VPN
> server's connection can also do that?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here? Are you referring to an
attacker sitting on the ISP of a VPN server, and observing incoming and
outgoing connections?

I'm not very knowledgeable about VPNs in the real-world, but I thought
that a VPN could be a big network infrastructure of its own, spreading
across the world. And so, potentially, without a single point where you
can observe both the incoming and outgoing connections. In that case,
breaking the anonymity of the VPN would require a global adversary or
being the admin of the VPN.

Did I miss something?

> The "Recognition" sections mixes info that's really about recognition
> (that is, on a social reputation level), and info that's about what
> makes is more trustable (on a technical level). I think I'd rather see
> the part about academic research and peer review out of this section.
> Granted, it's a bit short to be worth having a dedicated section.
> Can you think of a good way to improve this?

I changed the title to "Technical merits and recognition". I'm not 100%
happy with this word, but I could find better. Maybe "excellence", or
"superiority". All those sound a bit cheesy...

> "Tails allows you to connect to I2P"
>
> --> I would insert "also" in there.

Done. I thought I was putting a lot of "also" on the page but this one
is really needed.

>> That inaugurates also the idea of pushing stuff from the FAQ into the
>> main documentation as I migrated to that page the FAQ about VPN and
>> about the Tor and Tails relationship. Please comment on that move as well.
>
> I thought the idea, when doing so, was to keep the question in the
> FAQ, and to point to the relevant page in the documentation for the
> answer. I think it would make user support easier. What do you think?

We just started writing the FAQ and its index is already quite scary.
I'm a bit afraid of how usable it will end up being on the long-run. We
will probably have to introduce some ikiwiki voodoo to structure it better.

But yes, for the time being let's stick to our original plan, and have
questions point to the doc. Especially on this one since the title of
the question and the title of the doc differ quite a bit.

--
sajolida