Re: [Tails-l10n] intro + italian team policies/workflow

Author: intrigeri
To: Tails localization discussion
Subject: Re: [Tails-l10n] intro + italian team policies/workflow
Hi Francesca,

Francesca Ciceri wrote (22 Mar 2014 11:16:42 GMT) :
> I'm Francesca and a new recruit for the italian l10n team. I've joined
> the team on Transifex a couple of weeks ago, but forgot to introduce
> myself here :).

Welcome aboard!

> I've read the general documentation for translators [1] but I wanted to
> ask a couple of questions about workflow/coordination of the italian
> team (apologies to everyone else in the list to spam you as well!).

I'm not sure there are any translators for Italian on the list,
so I'll answer the questions I can, from my position.

> 1. About workflow: for what I understood we translate only via
> transifex: is ok to just translate and review or we also have to ping
> the devs when we have done it, so to have the strings merged in the
> repo?

tl;dr: no need to ping anyone :)

The work you're doing in Transifex is exposed to the devs as a set of
Git repositories. We import PO files from there before building Tails
ISO images (release candidates and final ones).

> 2. Do we have some kind of compendia/glossary or other documents with
> the translations of specific terms? I ask because in Debian we mostly follow the
> Translation Project glossary [2] and guidelines [3], but I'm not sure if
> you have different teams policies about that.

I'd personally love it if the Tails translation teams had glossaries.

IIRC Lunar (lunar@???) had started creating a French
glossary for the Tor project's translations, and was willing to share
it with Tails, since we use the same "project" at Transifex, and many
common words. No idea how far this effort went, and no idea if he
tried to have the same done for Italian. You might want to ask him.